Location: London, with frequent trips to Leatherhead and the rest of England and Wales
12 Month Fixed Term contract, then permanent in March 2020
Transforming Forensics (TF) is a national programme delivering new capabilities into policing to enable forensic service delivery of a fully integrated forensic service that will better support policing and the wider criminal justice system, and adapt more readily to future needs.
The Head of Design will be responsible for:
Engage with the Police stakeholder community to understand individual forces needs and build consensus on the design;
Managing and leading the design team;
Shape the delivery of design in this technology enabled forensics change programme;
Manage the delivery of design-related activities across the programme.
- Managing and developing the design team
- An ‘evergreen’ design team based upon the existing team and its relationships that is: Motivated and operating collaboratively to deliver the outcomes required by the client’s stakeholders as their understanding evolves;
- Comprised of people with skills, qualifications and experience to deliver an evolving set of outcomes; Working to process and with the tools, that are appropriate to deliver evolving requirement.
Developing and deploying appropriate design processes and procedures
Coherent and holistic methods for design within the programme that:
Builds on the existing foundations in the work to date;
Is continuously refreshed to meet the evolving needs of the programme;
Is appropriate to the maturity of the programme and its stakeholders;
Can be deployed across UK Police forces and agencies coherently.
Building and maintaining an enterprise architecture for UK Forensics that supports agile and evergreen delivery
A holistic view of the UK Forensics that encompases:
Vision and Strategy;
Developing and deploying appropriate design solutions effective, fit for purpose solutions that can be demonstrated to:
Deliver the programme outcomes agreed with stakeholders from each Police Force and the Home Office;
Support Policing in the realisation of the identified benefits.
Transferring knowledge to the Forensics Capability Network (FCN), UK Policing, as represented by force / agency stakeholders and commanders, and the Home Office
The necessary knowledge of the design and design process has been transferred to ensure that the FCN retains sufficient design and development capability to enable it to continue designing, delivering and deploying a transformed UK police forensics capabilities, particularly in the areas of capability management and evolution of ICT-enabled services.
Facilitating multi-force and agency design activities, with an approach and style that is supported by UK Policing, its policies, procedures, stakeholders and commanders
Design activities and experience are both effective and supported by the UK Police forces / agencies as a community;
Relationships and understanding are strengthened across the Polices forces and agencies;
National and local political negativity is minimised.
Undertaking overarching assurance of solution designs, project and programme delivery and any design related decisions
Confidence in the design activity is maintained and can be demonstrated through evidence of compliance in the operational environment to UK Police Forces and agencies, including
Implementation of a successful design overwatch and assurance programme;
Provision of status and risk updates to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT);
Provision of clear insight and recommendations at PRB;
Maintenance of governance mechanisms and structure and appropriate, including reporting and attendance at DA Board meetings.
This list of duties is not restrictive or exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to carry out duties from time to time that are either commensurate with/or lower than the grade of the post. In some posts this might include the ad-hoc provision of guidance and informal training of new colleagues.
Completion of duties to meet the needs of the police service.
- The Transforming Forensics Design team.
- The Transforming Forensics programme Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
- The entire cohort of UK Police Force and Agency stakeholders.
- Related programmes, notably Home Office Biometrics (HOB) & Digital Intelligence and Investigation (DII).
The Head of Design for the Transforming Forensics programme will work in a challenging and demanding role with:
Significant travel and the requirement to work away from home on a regular basis;
The need for agile working from a evolving mix of home, and operational base working;
Considerable UK wide Police Force and Agency stakeholder understanding, engagement and management.
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities, within a complex stakeholder environment with both local and national political implications
- Demonstrable experience in leading the delivery of enterprise and system design consulting services, to policing, or related agencies
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities across all layers of the OSI 7 layer model with delivery to a nationally distributed, secure community.
- Demonstrable experience of complex ICT-enabled change programmes, within an OFFICIAL SENSITIVE or higher security Police, or related agency, environment.
- Demonstrable technical and management expertise, including waterfall, agile and hybrid methodologies, to deliver within challenging timescales.
- Self motivated with excellent interpersonal skills including a proven ability to lead and to build high-performing teams and services.
- Demonstrable experience with both business and technical design. Demonstrable understanding of, and expertise in, exploiting enterprise architecture, including: vision, strategy, business and technical services to deliver agile and evegreen solutions in support of a rapidly evolving capability requirement.
- Proven track record of delivering complex, multi-year change over multiple organisations and services
- Excellent organisation and planning skills with the ability to prioritise a demanding workload and resources to meet objectives and deadlines.
- High resilience and commitment to change and service, demonstrated in a government, police or similar environment
- Degree level qualification, or equivalent experience, in Communications and Information’s System, or related discipline.
- Desirable Criteria (if applicable)
- Desirable Qualifications/Specific Training/Alternative relevant experience, knowledge, skills which are required for this post.
- Criteria to be measured
- Competencies Required
- Knowledge and experience of the UK Forensics delivery and exploitation in Police or reacted agency investigations.
- Knowledge and experience of the Transforming Forensics programme, including its business case, objectives, plan and stakeholders.
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities, within a complex stakeholder environment with both local and national political implications for UK Police Forces and Agencies
- Demonstrable experience in leading the delivery of enterprise and system design consulting services, to breadth of UK Police Forces and Agencies
- Demonstrable experience of leading the delivery of enterprise and system design activities across all layers of the OSI 7 layer model with delivery to breadth of UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Proven technical/management expertise, including waterfall (PRINCE2 or equivalent) and agile methodologies (SAFe or equivalent), delivering within challenging timescales whilst managing national stakeholders from the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Self motivated with excellent interpersonal skills including a proven ability to lead and to build high-performing teams and services delivering to the breadth of UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Experience with both business and technical design. A demonstrable understanding of and expertise in exploiting enterprise architecture, including vision, strategy, business and technical services, to deliver agile and evegreen solutions in support of a rapidly evolving capability requirement for UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Demonstrable track record of delivering ICT enabled complex, multi-year change programmes to the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Demonstrable organisation and planning skills with the ability to prioritise a demanding workload and resources to meet objectives and deadlines for a UK national programme delivering to the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- High resilience and commitment to change and service for a UK national programme delivering to the majority, if not all, UK Police Forces and Agencies.
- Enterprise architecture design qualifications, such as TOGAF or equivalent.
- Project Management qualifications such as PRINCE 2 or equivalent
- Agile Delivery qualifications such as Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) or equivalent
*Please note that this position is subject to being security cleared and a health check’s due to the nature of the role*