To effectively manage the day to day running of the shop and volunteers with the aim of achieving optimum profit, by maximising sales and controlling direct shop expenses.
Ensuring the delivery of Shop fundraising plans and activities:
– Maximise the income potential of the Shop by effectively managing the quality and quantity of stock and stock levels; maintain a keen and competitive pricing structure (in relation to other nearby charity shops) to increase footfall and spending
– To ensure optimum use of stock sourced through donations, Gift Aid, van collections, EBay, car-boots, textile bank recycling and other revenue generation methods
– Manage the effective use of all stock storage facilities e.g. at Chiseldon House
– Contributing to the delivery of annual budgets, targets and plans
– Working with colleagues in S&DS to ensure that national managed events and activities are marketed and supported locally
– Providing monthly reports and information about activity, performance, volunteers etc as necessary and upon request. Contribute to quarterly Charity Retail Association surveys.
Working with volunteers:
– Responsible for the recruitment, training and supervision of Shop volunteers, in conjunction with the DD for Recruitment
– Managing the rota effectively so that the shop is open at all published times.
– Supporting and developing volunteers.
– Working within local and national Samaritan policies, procedures and adhering to legal frameworks
– Cash handling, banking, acknowledging and receipting income in accordance with S&DS policies and procedures
– Undertaking administrative duties as required, including word processing, answering the telephone and taking messages.
– Branch Leadership Team, Deputy Director responsible for the Shop, local/area community fundraising colleagues, regional and other fundraising colleagues across S&DS including corporate and other central teams.
– DDs for Recruitment, Training and Volunteer Support
– Donors (directly to the shop and van collections)
– External fundraising networks and contacts from other charities.
– Other local community contacts.
In addition to the specific duties and responsibilities outlined in this job description, all Samaritans employees and Volunteers should be aware of their specific responsibilities towards the following:
– Adhere to all health and safety and fire regulations and to co-operate with the Charity in maintaining good standards of health and safety
– Cleanliness and presentation of the shop, storage areas and hallways in the branch
– Uphold ethical and professional standards and not behave in a manner that is likely to bring the Charity into disrepute
– Promote and sustain a responsible attitude towards equal opportunities and diversity within the Charity.
– Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing registration requirements or any national professional or occupational standards associated with the role
– Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing learning and development and to participate in any training relevant to the role
– For designated roles, the post holder will be responsible for health & safety, business continuity planning and/or risk management. (These responsibilities will be notified on appointment)
This job description is not exhaustive. It merely acts as a guide and may be amended to meet the changing requirements of the charity at any time after discussion with the post holder.
Hours: 21 Hours Per Week working Friday and Saturday and another weekday in the week